Getting hooked up

Librarians try new ways to get students to read

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting hooked up

Alanna Thompson, staff writer

Students use the library for many different things but not enough of them check out books to read.

“I think we have a lot of kids coming in so far like I think we have a nice crowd during lunch and breakfast time but there’s always room for more,” librarian Mary Acosta said. “I would definitely like to see more kids coming in and reading.”

Each month the librarians get together to discuss and choose different themes to promote reading.

“We’ve done horror, so we did like scary books during October of course,” Acosta said. “We also did books that had turned into movies.”

There have been themes such as “Read a Banned Book” and “Take a Walk in Someone Else’s Shoes.”

“Take a Walk in Someone Else’s Shoes” was not as popular as others.

“That didn’t do so well, kids don’t like to read biographies,” Acosta said. “We look at student interest too so like biography, that was a total flop. I probably won’t do that next year.”

Blind Date with a Book is the theme for the month of February.

“The Blind Date with a Book is an event that we are having to celebrate Valentines Day,” librarian Priscilla Moreno said. “The books have been carefully chosen by myself and also Ms. Acosta, they are books that are very popular and very interesting.”

The books have been wrapped up with only a few key words to see.

“We’ve written on the cover some of the key terms so it’s not a complete blind date but we hope that the students like surprises and like reading things that they would’ve otherwise not picked on their own,” Moreno said.

Blind Date with a Book has been a hit with students so far.

“It promotes reading because I’ve had students come in and be excited about reading a book that they don’t know what it is until they take it home,” Moreno said. “They also like unwrapping it so there’s a process to it, it’s not just a traditional way of checking out a book.”

Students are very interested and seem to like the idea.

“It’s an interesting concept since the cover is hidden and doesn’t let you pre-judge it,” junior Roberto Armendariz said. “It’s a good idea because you can explore and go beyond the regular books you choose.”