NHS Community Service Hours Deadline

Jin Koo, Reporter

The members of the National Honor Society recently had to turn in their required thirty hours of community service for the first semester. With the NHS membership and graduation stole on the line, many were intent on obtaining their hours. Though, with different circumstances for everybody, many had varying or comparative experiences in doing so.

“I have opportunities to do community service every weekend at my church or other clubs that offer them,” senior Jose Toriano said. “It was reminding myself to take pictures and getting the signatures that was the stressing part.”

Senior Melissa McClain also shared a somewhat similar experience.

“In trying to get my thirty hours of community service, I didn’t find many struggles,” Melissa said. “I knew a lot of teachers needed help with their classrooms or with little things here and there.”

Although Jose and Melissa were able to say they found their chances readily available for the most part, there were those who struggled to find the time.

“Work made it hard to do hours after school and on the weekends,” senior Victoria Resendez said.

Even if there were different processes in receiving those service hours, the consensus seems to lean towards the requirement being a positive.

“I think it’s a good balance,” Jose said. “Not too much and not too little because some people don’t have the time or resources, such as transportation, to help every week.”

Jose’s statement applies to many in NHS, such as Victoria who was able to make time and look at the added benefits for the hours.

“I like it mostly because it helps me get to the 120 hours to get a cord for graduation,” Victoria said.

Another thing that many of the members have in common is that keeping up with the hours and maintaining their NHS status is a top priority.

“It was very important to me to get the hours and stay in NHS because I try my best in school and I want to thrive,” Melissa said. “Plus, NHS will look good on my resume.”

Victoria holds a similar mindset.

“It’s very important, NHS is one of my main things that I’m able to put onto college applications and stuff,” Victoria said.

With the importance of membership and separate circumstances weighing down on them, many of the NHS inductees were able to make the most of the community service time.

“I have enjoyed the hours honestly because a lot of my friends are in NHS with me and when we all have to do the hours it kind of gets us to hang out together,” Victoria said. “So I like doing community service hours with my friends the most because whenever I do them alone, I get very anti-social.”

Jose, like Victoria, had a very worthwhile experience.

“My personal experience has been amazing because I like knowing that I’m making a positive difference in someone’ life. Whether it’s sorting piles of clothing or cleaning, I enjoy the time I spend since I choose to always come back whenever I can,” Jose said. “Some interactions I have received was seeing the smiles of other people’s faces when they see that someone is willing to help them.”