The Last Semester Begins

Jin Koo, Reporter

With the winter break over, we have now officially ushered in the last semester of the 2018-2019 calendar year. Several of the seniors have offered their thoughts and expectations on the last few months of their high school life.

“This semester is honestly a little stressful. I am trying to graduate top ten percent so I’m pushing myself to get good grades and if I don’t make it at least I’ll be able to walk across the stage,” senior Jacquelin Chavez said. “I don’t expect the work to get any easier so all I can do is try.”

Senior Victoria Resendez has shared her outlook regarding the year as well.

“I think it’s the last piece of our childhood kind of, cause after school it’s college, jobs, and starting your own life,” Victoria said. “I see it as a last chance to make amazing memories before your friends, or yourself, leave to college. It’s one last run to have fun and be a kid.”

The upcoming months hold various events that the seniors have expressed their excitement for.

“I’m really looking forward to proms since it’s my last one that I’ll be attending this year,” Jacquelin said. “I’m also really looking forward to all the senior activities that’ll be happening this semester like senior sunset and, of course, graduation.”

Senior Daniella Coronado stated what she was anticipating this semester as well.

“The pep rally because we will be doing the lip sync battle again,” Daniella said. “I’m also looking forward to basketball senior night and waiting for prom.”

Victoria also stated what event she is looking forward to.

“Graduation. It’s like the big season finale to a show that’s been on for twelve seasons, each season being a grade level. All my friends are characters in the show that is my life and every year is different,” Victoria said. “There’s new characters, and ones that drift away. There’s new events like getting a first job or first car. It’s like the show is coming to an end and it’s the last scene.”

As it is the last year, many students want to make the most of their remaining high school months.

“Since it’s my last year of high school I want to go all out,” Jacquelin said. “I want my last year to be something I’ll remember in the future.”

With this semester being the prelude to graduation, numerous students have mixed feelings about moving on.

“High school has been quite the experience. There were a lot of ups and downs and lefts and rights, but I really did enjoy high school,” Jacquelin said. “I honestly don’t know how I feel about leaving. I want to leave and go to college and be an adult, but at the same time I just want to stay and have fun with my friends that I’m leaving behind.”

Daniella shared a similar outlook.

“At first I was scared of graduating because I didn’t know what I wanted to do yet after high school, but once I figured it out I felt more at ease and I’m ready to graduate it,” Daniella said.

As Daniella has, the seniors now look past high school and must decide how their future will shape up to be.

“I have applied to four colleges,” Daniella said. “Whichever one I plan to go to, I will study kinesiology and become an occupational therapist.”

Even though there are mixed feelings towards the graduation, Jacquelin also has decided her path.

“I plan to go to EPCC to get my associates degree then transfer over to UTEP to get my masters and major in psychology,” Jacquelin said.

Students not set on a specific job have outlined what they plan to do after high school as well.

“I’ll just go to college and do my basics at EPCC or UTEP,” Victoria said. “Not sure what career path I want to go into yet, but I do want my basics in business management and accounting.”