2019 Oscar Nominees Revealed

Jin Koo, Reporter

On January 22nd, the nominees for the 91st Academy Awards were announced. Alfonso Cuarón’s “Roma” and Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Favourite” lead the awards with 10 nominations each. First time nominees such as Rami Malek, Yalitza Aparicio, and Marina de Tavira will take the stage along with former nominees and winners such as Christian Bale, Alfonso Cuarón, and Emma Stone. The best picture race consists of “A Star Is Born,” “Black Panther,” “BlacKkKlansman,” “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Green Book,” “The Favourite,” “Roma,” and “Vice.” The nominations have led to various students anticipating the event with many already making their picks for the winners.

“A Star Is Born for best picture, Bradley Cooper for best actor, and Lady Gaga for best actress,” senior Oscar Aponte said.

Oscar’s pick for best picture, “A Star Is Born,” is the third remake of the 1937 film of the same name, is the directorial debut of Bradley Cooper, and the film debut of Lady Gaga. The movie has received critical acclaim and has connected to many, including Oscar himself, on an emotional level.

“The movie was relatable because the main character was similar to me,” Oscar said. “He started off depressed and then he found someone that changed his life and that’s similar to a situation I had in the past.”

The presentation also holds the first best picture nomination for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and producer Kevin Feige in the form of “Black Panther.”

“I think it should be nominated because it’s a black cultural movie and it was the first successful black superhero movie,” Oscar said.

Black Panther garnered a lot of attention upon release and broke many box office records on its way to the whopping $1.344 billion it made worldwide.

“My first thoughts on Black Panther was that it was a really good movie and was very exciting the entire time through the movie,” senior Elyssa Gardea said. “I didn’t want to look away.”

Although there was some criticism directed towards the movie getting into the best picture race, it has become apparent that the hit movie left a great impression and some have given their thoughts on its best picture entry.

“I guess it’s because it had a very good storyline and included new things that other Marvel movies have never had,” Elyssa said.

Elyssa and Oscar are not the only ones singing its praises.

“I feel that movie and the director and everyone in it deserved it. They worked hard on the movie and just the picture and the meaning of it all including the African culture is also new to any superhero movie. It has a good back story as well,” senior Israel Guzman said. “The amount of money and Rotten Tomatoes score speaks for itself. To me, I feel like it deserves the award.”

Of course, with a limited amount of slots for nominees, different circumstances around voting, and movie opinions being subjective to begin with, not everybody’s pick makes it to the ceremony.

“Creed II should have been nominated because it’s a movie with good acting,” Oscar said.

There are various movies that people believe may have been snubbed, including the one that Elyssa states.

“Crazy Rich Asians, it was so cute and I think we need to see more Asian culture,” Elyssa said.

This does not apply to just the movies themselves, but the actors in them as well.

“I feel like Josh Brolin should have been one of the nominees because of his extravagant and amazing acting, being the main antagonist in his two recent movies, Avengers: Infinity War as Thanos and Deadpool 2 as Cable,” Israel said. “He’s in my favorite movie, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, playing as the main character. All these movies have released in 2018, an amazing year for Josh Brolin and he deserved to be a nominee.”