Put the Test to Rest

Jin Koo, Reporter

The testing schedule that was for the days of May 6th – May 9th, and many other testing weeks, is ludicrous for those that are not actively taking it and even more so for those who are. Just starting with the test takers, the standardized testing system is already riddled with flaws. As Vittana’s “16 Biggest Pros and Cons of Standardized Testing” article has stated, the testing is only a one-day evaluation, disregarding any other obstacles a student could’ve had that day.

Vitanna’s article does also provide the point of holding children and teachers accountable, but at what cost if teacher’s change their teaching curriculum to accommodate the test. Other pros and cons could be found on the article. Many of the information is non vital to a student’s future and is unnecessary information, or at least important enough to the extent that it could prevent you from passing.

If attending class is a must, which is another matter, then teachers should be teaching worthwhile information instead of being locked down to a set of information to pass an otherwise, much like most of them, unimportant test.

An article on the Washington Post has stated, along with a multitude of students who’ve actually taken these tests, that this system can cause harmful stress and a loss of curiosity and love of learning. Many other articles detail the effects of this kind of system, even though articles or outside proof is not even needed to see the damage it causes to school in general.

Now onto the effects that this has onto the rest of the school, this schedule has forced those who are not testing to be in a four-hour long morning period, almost immediately followed by an over two-hour long noon period.

A big problem with this is the unneeded lockdown of the students, especially seniors who are already preparing to leave, delaying lunch and causing friction in the planned-out class. This then causes, in many cases, a lull in the teaching resulting in a class filled with nothing of purpose or substance for the students as they also end up doing just that which is nothing.

This also causes a problem as broken up the days from four classes a day, to two classes, for example causing a Monday class to be a four hour 5th period to an over two hour 7th period. Students with jobs and outs in their school schedule could be slotted to work during the time that the last period would’ve started, causing a dilemma on whether to call in, or take an absence for, once again, a useless class period.

Again, testing week takes a harmful toll on the students for no reason other than learning overall unwanted information to inaccurately determine a student’s intelligence. The sloppiness of the situation seeps into the rest of the school, not even unintentionally causing a rift in what is supposed to be “learning” periods.

A fix to this could be doing what many are clamoring for and eliminate standardized testing, or at the very least don’t require your graduation to depend on the understanding of menial knowledge under stressful circumstance.

About the Writer
Jin Koo, Reporter

My name is Jin Koo and I am a senior at Andress High School. This is my first year as a member of the newspaper staff, but I have prior experience in contributing...